The National Severe Storms Lab is a Federal agency focusing on world-class weather research related to the initialization and development of severe weather. Lynker currently provides IT-related services which are an integral part to the success of NSSL’s mission. An overview of services includes DNS/DHCP administration, multi-platform (Linux, Windows, and Apple) server and desktop support, Active Directory administration, network security, hardware technical support, data center management, and web development, design and administration.
IT COMPUTER SPECIALIST I – Requires knowledge in fields defined as information technology, computer programming, computer security, computer systems analysis, information systems, Internet applications and development, and related fields. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. BS/BA degree (or equivalent) in appropriate specialty or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Rack/Unrack servers & storage systems in NOAA computer room
- Provide necessary power & data cabling upon request for above-rack cable trays, in the server racks, and under raised floor.
- Data Center monitoring of power and temperature
- Data Center system monitoring and mitigation for failed drives, power supplies, components, etc.
- Manage conference room and video teleconferencing equipment maintained in NOAA leased space, and elevate technical issues outside of the scope of the lease agreement to relevant organizations.
- Manage hardware for NOAA Science on a Sphere to include: projectors, video extenders, network cabling, etc.
- Replacing lamps and filters on projectors.
- Maintain inventory and organization of components, drives, cables, etc. on hand
- Receive assets and ensure they meet the specifications of systems ordered.
- Perform the movement of assets within and/or between offices, and ensure inventory records kept up-to-date.
- Diagnose hardware problems for servers, PC and Apple workstations, laptops, and peripherals.
- Facilitate the replacement of faulty equipment (perform RMA’s).
- Evaluate and prepare assets for disposition, and assist property custodian on organization of surplus equipment.
- Troubleshoot IT-related field equipment used for data collection and analysis.
- Works with ITS administrators to evaluate the feasibility to repair and/or upgrade assets.
- Submit orders for parts or work with customers ordering parts needed for upgrades
- Responsible for keeping immediate work area in a neat and orderly condition to ensure safety of self and coworkers.
- Interact with ITS systems administrators to restore service and/or identify and correct core problems resulting in a disruption of service.
- Retrieve delivered packages from loading dock
- Provide technical assistance in the installation, operation and maintenance of equipment and services upon request
- Maintain a compilation of records and reports concerning production, machine malfunctions and maintenance issues using the enterprise ticketing system
- Ability to be self-motivated and to deliver quality support with limited direction and guidance
- BS/BA degree (or equivalent) in IT computer field
- Experience with desktop support strongly preferred
- Experience with PC hardware troubleshooting and reporting strongly preferred
- Experience in “pulling cable” preferred
- Ability to understand and carry out instructions provided in various forms (written, oral or diagram)
- Adaptable to change in process or required activities
- Professional attitude and work ethic
- Desire to work either independently or closely with others
- Results oriented
- Excellent attention to detail & organization
- A+ or equivalent a plus
- Ability to lift 50 lb’s or more and accomplish physically strenuous tasks
Technical screening questions:
- Are you comfortable with diagnosing and configuring proprietary equipment or systems?
- Do you have experience in datacenter management?
- a) Years of Experience Supporting & b) 1-10 Rating for the following:
- Windows (Desktop and/or Server)
- Linux (Desktop and/or Server)
- Mac (Computers)
- Mobile Devices (Cell Phones & Tablets – Android and/or iPhone)
- Networking (Switches and Routers)
- A/V Equipment (Projectors, Conference Room Equipment, etc.)
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services with offices in Leesburg, VA and Boulder, CO. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.