Water Resources Engineer – Coastal Modeling
Lynker is hiring a water resources engineer to work alongside scientific experts with NOAA’s Office of Coast Survey (OCS) and NOAA’s Office of Water Prediction (OWP) at the National Water Center (NWC) on the University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa. The selected candidate will be apart of a team of scientists and engineers working on real-time inland and coastal hydrodynamic/hydrologic forecasting. The NWC is currently supporting research and development modeling activities focused on coupling freshwater model applications to ocean models. NOAA’s NWM is the foundation for the nationally consistent operational hydro forecasting and source of inland hydrologic information. Lynker staff are developing demonstration code and associated documentation to couple the Extratropical Surge and Tide Operational Forecast System (ESTOFS) and Advanced Circulation Model (ADCIRC) to the National Water Model (NWM) in the Coastal Zones while also determining the feasibility for using NOAA Environmental Modeling System for unified model coupling.
Daily activities of the position will include research and development for coastal modeling applications; collaboration with scientific experts and stakeholders to identify gaps and weaknesses in existing modeling methods; and geoprocessing and algorithm development (i.e. programming) for automated workflows for processing model input/output data.
Experience or skills should include:
- Graduate-level education/training (or experience) in hydrodynamic/hydrologic and geospatial science, coastal hydrodynamic modeling, and process-automation programming using Python, R or similar languages
- Comprehensive knowledge of saltwater physical processes (ocean hydrodynamics, waves, wind, surge, tides, etc.)
- Knowledge of hydrodynamic/hydrologic geospatial data processing
- Knowledge of hydrography and bathymetry datasets
- Knowledge and experience using hydrologic and hydrodynamics modeling applications (familiarity with unstructured models is a plus .e.g. ADCIRC/SCHISM/FVCOM)
- Experience in numerical model development and programming using FORTRAN
- Experience with ESRI GIS applications and tools for processing large data sets used in hydrologic/hydraulic analysis
- Experience in scripting in Linux environment
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services with offices in Leesburg, VA and Boulder, CO. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions. Our focus on our employees has been recognized by the Washing Business Journal in awards the Best Places to Work in 2018 and by Comparably who awarded us a Best Company for Work/Life Balance also in 2018.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.