Lynker is looking for a Biology Laboratory Technician to provide support to the NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), Alaska Fisheries Science Center, Auke Bay Lab Recruitment Energetics & Coastal Assessment Program (RECA) progam.
The NMFS conducts fisheries oceanographic research in the Southeast Alaska Waters, Gulf of Alaska (GOA), Bering sea, Chukchi Sea, and Beaufort Sea with a wide variety of interdisciplinary collaborators in order to understand the influence of biophysical forcing and climate on the recruitment of marine fish and fisheries including: aging and life history conditions for salmonids, the energetic requirements for overwinter survival of marine fish, and how growth, energy storage, and metabolism interact to regulate the distribution and abundance of fish stocks during the recruitment phase.
This position will provide aid to NOAA biologists in processing samples and data for supporting ongoing fisheries oceanographic research projects in the laboratory. The tasks will involve sample processing of fish and zooplankton including: sample inventories, laboratory analyses, and data entry. This position provides laboratory support services to assist in processing fish and zooplankton samples collected during research activities in and around Alaskan marine environments. This position consists mainly of laboratory and field support duties.
Description of Duties:
Sample Processing and Data Analysis
- Performs various biological laboratory duties for processing fish and zooplankton samples. Protocols for each type of laboratory procedure are provided and must be followed to ensure data comparable between years for long term data sets. Number of samples typically processed varies each year which is determined by the amount of research projects.
- Inventory fish arriving at laboratory
- Measure length and weight of fish
- Removal of otoliths
- Removal of tissue pieces for genetics
- Removal of tissue pieces for RNA/DNA
- Removal of tissue pieces for Isotopes
- Removal of fish stomachs and innards for diet and energetic work
- Homogenize fish
- Analyze fish with PARR semi-microbomb calorimeter for energy density
- Removal and decoding of coded-wire-tags
Selected individual(s) must have the following minimum qualifications:
At least 12 credits of college level coursework in a field related to the requirements of the specific task order with emphasis in fisheries, biology, oceanography, social science, natural science, mathematics, or hydrology
Additional required qualifications include:
- At least one year of experience in a biology laboratory.
- Experience processing larval or juvenile marine fish, including: measuring lengths and weights; dissecting and removing stomach contents and storing in formalin for identification; otolith, fin, and scale removal;
- Experience homogenizing fish tissues in preparation for chemical analysis;
- Experience operating a PARR brand semi-micro bomb calorimeter to obtain energy density values including calibration, maintenance, and troubleshooting;
- Experience with proper handling and storage of formalin and isopropyl/ethyl alcohol;
- Experience organizing field and laboratory data including performing quality control procedures on both raw and electronic;
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.