Silver Spring, MD
Lynker Technologies, LLC is seeking to hire two Technical Specialists with expertise in hydrodynamic modeling to support NOAA’s Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services (CO-OPS). In partnership with other NOAA offices, CO-OPS operates and maintains a suite of 14 operational coastal hydrodynamic models to provide predictions of oceanographic conditions (water level, salinity, temperature, and currents) to mariners, coastal managers, researchers, and other customers. To support expansion and enhancement of these models, Lynker is accepting applications for two positions that will assist with the testing, implementation, and coupling of hydrodynamic operational forecast systems.
Duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Contribute to assigned teams, working groups, and committees related to physical and operational oceanographic applications and products in support of CO-OPS modeling and prediction activities;
- Operate and maintain hydrodynamic models in an operational environment;
- Contribute to technical reports, SOPs, presentations, and trainings to be given to internal working groups;
- Participate in stakeholder engagement activities, such as gathering requirements, meeting with users of model data, and collaborating with academic partners; and
- Test and transition hydrodynamic models to an operational environment and validate their performance in accordance with standard operating procedures.
Qualifications and skills sought for this position:
- Master’s Degree in oceanography, meteorology, hydrology, or a closely related discipline, plus two years of relevant experience in hydrodynamic modeling on high-performance computing systems;
- An understanding of oceanographic, atmospheric, riverine, and/or hydrologic models;
- Extensive computing skills (e.g. shell scripts, Fortran, IDL, Matlab, Python)
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing;
- A demonstrated ability to organize and self-manage workload, meet deadlines, and collaborate well with others.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.