Silver Spring, MD
Lynker Technologies, LLC is seeking to hire a Technical Specialist in the field of oceanography to support NOAA’s Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services (CO-OPS) with work related to sea level trends and projections analysis and product generation.
Duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Perform monthly quality control and review of sea level trends at NOAA tide gauges and complete annual update to sea level trends.
- Update extreme water level statistics and exceedance probabilities following high water events.
- Maintain inundation web products and provide GIS support to enable integration of quarterly high tide bulletins into web products.
- Conduct statistical analysis in support of the annual high tide flooding outlook and quarterly high tide bulletin.
- Develop prototype products and visualizations of water level statistics and predictions using the Matlab and Python programming language.
- In a database environment, identify and resolve deficiencies in water level datasets and metadata required to produce oceanographic products.
- Assist with the revision of standard operating procedures used to analyze oceanographic data and generate products.
- Assist with the development of presentations, technical reports, and peer-reviewed publications in areas of expertise.
Qualifications and skills required for this position:
- Master’s Degree in a field of geosciences (marine science or oceanography preferred), plus two years of relevant experience. Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree in geosciences and four years of highly relevant experience may be considered. Knowledge of oceanographic principles, theories, and practices is highly desirable.
- A working knowledge of Matlab and Python is required. Experience using R is a plus.
- Coursework or professional experience in GIS is also required.
- A demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, manage workload, collaborate well with others, and meet deadlines.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in using a desktop computer and MS Office Suite for analyzing and processing data and developing and editing documents.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- General database and query experience is preferred
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services with offices in Leesburg, VA and Boulder, CO. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.