Silver Spring, MD
Lynker Technologies, LLC is seeking to hire a Data Specialist in the field of oceanography to support NOAA’s Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services with work related to the configuration and quality control of metadata for CO-OPS’ water level, currents, and meteorological stations along the coasts of the U.S. and its territories, including the Great Lakes.
The Data Specialist will be responsible for a region of current meter and water level stations where his/her duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Review, enter and verify water level station metadata and data according to established CO-OPS standard operating procedures (SOPs) for all newly installed or existing water level stations, current meters, and meteorological and oceanographic sensors.
- Review and assess the quality of bench marks and surveying leveling records and other data submitted from CO-OPS and contractor field parties; enter the information into the database and station packages.
- According to approved criteria, evaluate submitted documentation and data and provide written feedback.
- Load preliminary water level and current meter data into database.
- Assist in troubleshooting water level, oceanographic, and meteorological data and metadata issues as they arise.
- Update SOPs, manuals, and technical guides, as necessary.
- Provide technical consultation for supporting NOAA’s Coast Survey hydrographic surveys and National Geodetic Survey remote sensing surveys.
- Provide oral and written presentations, as necessary.
- Participate in team meetings and other meetings.
- Participate in field installations of sensors and in leveling of bench marks to learn and understand CO-OPS observing systems and field procedures.
- Provide data analysis and produce charts, graphics, and other representations of engineering, oceanographic, and meteorological data.
Qualifications and skills sought for this position:
- Bachelor of Science degree in oceanography, meteorology, hydrology, physics, physical science, geophysics, engineering, or a closely related discipline is required. Four years of relevant and specialized experience in oceanography, meteorology, physics, physical science, surveying/geodesy, geophysics, or civil engineering technology may be substituted for this education requirement.
- Position requires some knowledge of oceanography, engineering, meteorology, geodesy or physical science, which may have been obtained through related undergraduate coursework or professional experience.
- Must be proficient in using a desktop computer and MS Office Suite for analyzing and processing data and developing and editing documents.
- Strong technical writing skills are required.
- Experience with statistical software is desired.
- Knowledge of databases, Structured Query Language (SQL), or programming languages is a plus.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment is essential.
- Basic knowledge of engineering drawings is a plus
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services with offices in Leesburg, VA and Boulder, CO. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.