Lynker is seeking a candidate to provide Field and Laboratory Support to Fisheries Biologists in Juneau, Alaska.
The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) conducts fisheries oceanographic research in the Southeast Alaska Waters, Gulf of Alaska (GOA), Bering sea, Chukchi Sea, and Beaufort Sea with a wide variety of interdisciplinary collaborators in order to understand the influence of biophysical forcing and climate on the recruitment of marine fish and fisheries: including the effects of ocean currents on transporting juvenile fish to nursery grounds; the effects of food availability on productivity of marine fish populations; aging and life history conditions for salmonids, and the energetic requirements for overwinter survival of marine fish.
This position will aid NOAA biologists in collecting and processing samples and data for supporting ongoing fisheries oceanographic research projects on vessels, in the laboratory and at field stations. The tasks will involve sample processing for fish and biological oceanography, sample inventories, support work for surveys, laboratory analyses, at sea fish collections and data entry. Contractor support will participate in fisheries oceanographic surveys and potentially go to a remote field location to support data collection.
Duties onboard the survey vessels include: assisting with the coordination and preparation of sampling gear; identifying and measuring fish; data entry; and assisting with oceanographic sampling. Participation in group planning meetings will be required.
Key tasks for this position include:
- Performing various laboratory duties for processing cholorphylls and fish samples including:
- Otolith removals from fish heads
- Obtaining Chlorophyll values from processed water filters
- Removal of fish stomachs and innards for diet and energetic work
- Fish scale pressing, reading and aging
- Removal of tissue pieces for genetics
- Perform bomb calorimetry on fish samples * Participating in annual fieldwork which includes a research survey and/or work at a field station.
- Assisting with zooplankton, biological and physical oceanography (operating CTDs), fish sampling, fish tagging, and fish spawning. * Participating in all staging and de-staging of field work
- Cleaning, assemblage (preparation), and dissemination of all related elements to research projects, includes data, frozen samples, supplies and equipment, maintenance on oceanographic sensors, zooplankton nets and electronic fish measuring system. * Participating in annual Chinook Salmon tagging with coded wire tags.
- At least 12 credits of college level course work in a field related to the requirements of the specific task order with emphasis in fisheries, biology, oceanography, social science, natural science, mathematics, or hydrology.
Additional required qualifications:
- Must have experienced at least 10 continuous days at sea on a research vessel or commercial fishing boat in Alaskan Waters.
- Must have at least three years’ experience working with fisheries samples in a laboratory setting.
- Must have at least 1 year of experience with reading and aging scales for at least 2 species of salmon.
- Must have experience in participating in 1 tagging event for salmon using coded wire tags.
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.