The GIS Systems Administrator (SA) will be responsible for the administration, management, and oversight of the GIS system implementations at the National Water Center (NWC) in Tuscaloosa, AL, in support of the project and enterprise requirements of the National Weather Service (NWS) Office of Water Prediction (OWP).
The GIS SA will be engaged in planning, design, maintenance and management of GIS systems and services. Provide software environment administration and establishes and maintains standards. Work includes establishing, documenting and adapting GIS processes and workflows, and monitoring and definition of best practices for associated data management. Efforts are coordinating across OWP development, staging, and production systems, and as appropriate, across the NWS and NOAA community engaged in GIS activities. Systems include ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online, and also consider open source GIS solutions such as QGIS, GeoServer and Open Layers. Both Linux and WIndow implementation require administration and support.
- Bachelor (4-yr) degree, with a technical major, (GIS, geography, engineering or computer science, computer systems). Equivalent experience will be considered.
- Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Unix and/or Microsoft helpful.
- GIS Administration
- Python development
- Relational database schema and SQL query language
- Web Services (knowledge of geospatial web services preferred)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- VMware experience
- Data Domain experience
- Esri (Desktop, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online)
- Open Source (QGIS, GeoServer, Open Layers)
- Database Management
Detailed Duties for this Position
Responsible for effective installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling leadership, projects, staff, and partner needs.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the planning phases of OWP defined project management. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on affecting the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
This individual is accountable for Linux and Windows systems that support GIS infrastructure; Responsibilities on these systems include coordination and recommendations for systems provisioning, SA engineering, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation. After-hours support may be needed on limited occasions to maintain productions systems or for special circumstances.
GIS System Administration:
- Install and configure systems that supports GIS infrastructure applications applications.
- Troubleshoots and resolves problems with the GIS system operations.
- Install or rebuild servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with OWP ITSG standards and per project/operational requirements.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports GIS applications per project or operational needs.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades as needed, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Build GIS solutions that leverage custom or out-of-the-box tools to meet business needs.
- Analyze and evaluate technology, resources and standards to achieve best process.
- Administration and configuration of ArcGIS Server infrastructure, including optimizing map services.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage resources and provide economies of scale.
- Contribute to and maintain GIS system standards.
- Version control of software.
Operations and Support:
- Monitor the spatial processes for creation of services and routine maintenance.
- Monitor processes to ensure data integrity and compatibility;
- Monitor and measure performance of databases and reports problems appropriately.
- Provide technical support for server administration and configuration
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Coordidate user account management as needed.
- Provide Tier II/other support per request from various constituencies.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate with impacted constituencies.
- Help to ensure maximum on-line availability of databases.
- Trains end users, and responsible for database maintenance and update and upgrading of systems.
- Consult with users on integrating external data for compatibility.
- Evaluate end user application needs, communicate to determine their needs and expectations.
- Document process for consistency and stability.
- Create and maintain metadata according to established standards..
- Support engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.Establish, document and modify spatial database process.
- Coordinates with projects to plan, design, develop, deploy and maintain GIS solutions based on requirements gathered to address user needs.
- Ensure integration of existing and new datasets with all geographic based data.
- Design spatial databases according to established standards. Implement Federal Metadata Standards as appropriate.
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Establish and maintain spatial database standards.
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services with offices in Leesburg, VA and Boulder, CO. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.